Monday, February 13, 2012

Can you keep three caiques happily together as pets?

I currently have 2 pet caiques, (a 1yo male %26amp; a 2yo female). They get along great, %26amp; I am debating adding another caique. She would be a 1yo female. Each bird would have his/her own cage. Does anyone have experience owning 3 caiques? Are they more or less likely to fight? Will it upset my current pair? Will having 2 females create issues? All would be kept as pets, we have no intentions to breed. Thanks for any info you all can share!Can you keep three caiques happily together as pets?I have three and they get along just fine. I didn't get them all at the same time --- there was a five month gap between the first and second, and a 2 YEAR gap between the first two and the third. ALL of them are 5 years old or younger. My WBC is 4-1/2, my first BHC is a few months younger, and the second BHC is about the same (I was told by the lady I got her from anyway - she's not banded).



One of mine is a DNA-verified female (my WBC). I was TOLD by the breeder that the BHC is female (I've never had her tested, but I'm hoping ---). The THIRD one, also a BHC, has never been tested, I'm HOPING she's a she, because I really don't want little baby caiques running around either.



All three of mine have their squabbles and they can be stubborn as mules, but they usually play together like puppies and they're my babies.



Two caiques are fun. Three is a barrel of monkeys.



P.S. All three of mine share a large cage, but they're never confined to it. They really only sleep in it. Their "big" cage is actually my entire bedroom while I'm at work (I live alone and have no other pets). When I'm home, the rest of the apartment belongs to them, too. I just pay the rent.

No comments:

Post a Comment